Date: 16 June 2012 (2pm - 5pm)
Malinalli Press, a Native woman owned and operated press, publishes creative work by established and emerging indigenous writers and artists from Abya Yala. (Est. 2009). This is the first Poetry Workshop hosted by Malinalli Press.
VENUE: Private Residence, Oakland, CA (address upon registration)
* Space limited to 8-10 participants per workshop.
* Writers who attend one session, (4) workshops, will receive a certificate.
* 1-2 full scholarships available per workshop; possibly more dependent on sponsorships.
* Following registration, participants will receive confirmation and workshop information by email.
* Policy: All on-line sales are final.
WORKSHOP INSTRUCTOR, FACILITATOR:
Mica Valdez (Mexica) is the editor and publisher of the on-line journal Indigenous Voices and Turtle Island to Abya Yala, Malinalli Press. In 2009, she was awarded an American Indian Artists Residency at the Montana Artists Refuge to work on her poetry manuscript "Love and the Lost Nation." Mica's poetry has been published in Red Ink Magazine, Other Tongues: Mixed Race Women Speak Out, Kweli Journal, The Womanist, Mujeres de Maiz (Women of Corn), and Generations Literary Journal, among others. She received an M.F.A in Creative Writing with an emphasis in Poetry from Mills College in 2010. Her very first teaching experience was as a Creative Writing Instructor for middle school students in 1997. Currently, she teaches at a university and for Malinalli Press.