01 May 2012

Seeking Authentic Teen Romance: Jill Corcoran (Children's Book Agent)

Post date: 01 May 2012
JILL CORCORAN is a children’s book agent with Herman Agency. Her current interests include: high concept Young Adult and Middle Grade Thrillers, Mystery, Romance, Romantic Comedies, and Adventure manuscripts. With an English degree from Stanford University and an MBA in Finance and Marketing from the University of Chicago, Jill has marketed everything from sneakers to cereal at Leo Burnett Advertising, LA Gear, Mattel, and at her own consulting company, LAUNCH! New Product Marketing.

From Jill Corcoran's blog: I have a wide interests in books, as you can probably tell by the sales I have made. I am still very much interested in signing MG writers, in fact, I just signed the funniest MG writer I know, Bart King. But what I really want to find are more romance writers who can write authentic teen! Not goofy, silly chic-lit with no underlying heart/intelligence/soul but full-fleshed, make me laugh/cry/yearn/scream romance. Contemporary, mystery, thriller, paranormal, historical, sci-fi. - doesn't matter - it is about characters - soul-searching, groin-yearning, heart thumping, heart breaking, fast paced, laugh out loud, cry out loud, make me want to be your character romance! But here is the thing -
  • The writing has to be authentic teen.
  • The voice has to be knock me out of my chair original.
  • The plotting, cinematic.
  • The protagonist, a person that I believe is real and who I wish was in my life yet they are flawed and f-up sometimes and well, are human.
  • The villains, I want to freak'n pound them into oblivion even though I understand where they are coming from and their underlying emotional wound.

The writing has to sweep me up in the story so that I do not even remember that I am sitting in a chair and not actually living and breathing along with your characters, in their world.

Please send your query plus the first 10 pages of your manuscript pasted into the body of your email to: QueryJillCorcoran@gmail.com

CONTACT INFORMATION:

For inquiries/ submissions: QueryJillCorcoran@gmail.com

Website: http://jillcorcoran.blogspot.com/
This blog is no longer updated. Please instead visit Writers For Diversity for new opportunities for women/ LGBT writers and writers of color. Thank you.