Sponsored by the Abortion Care Network & Split This Rock
Free to enter
The Abortion Care Network (ACN), a national organization of independent providers and prochoice supporters, and Split This Rock, a national network of socially engaged poets, announce a poetry contest in conjunction with ACN’s annual meeting, to be held in May 2012 in the DC metro area.
The experience of women who seek abortion and other reproductive services is as varied as the individuals involved. For some, there is safety, relief, and good medical care. For others, there is doubt, harassment, and stigma. For all, health care takes place in a politicized context in which even the most basic choices about our bodies, sexuality, and childbearing can be scrutinized.
The ACN and Split This Rock welcome the submission of poems on these themes. We will award the following prizes: First ($100), Second ($75) and Third Place ($50), and Honorable Mention. Judging will done by Split This Rock and ACN.
The first-place winner will read the winning poem at ACN’s annual meeting in May. The prize-winning poems will be published in the ACN’s quarterly newsletter, The Provider, in the conference program distributed to all meeting attendees, and on Split This Rock’s website at www.SplitThisRock.org.
Poets from any part of the U.S. may submit poems, but we regret that no travel funds will be provided so that the winning poet may read at the meeting.
- Submit up to 3 poems (6 pages maximum) by midnight, Sunday, April 15, 2012, in the body of a single email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Attachments will not be opened. We will request Word attachments of finalist poems.
- One entry per poet, please.
- All styles and approaches accepted.
- Free to enter.
- Previously published in print is acceptable, but, please, not on the web.
- Simultaneous submissions accepted. Please inform us at email@example.com immediately if the poem is accepted elsewhere.
- Poets must be able to be in the Washington, DC, area in May, 2012 to read the winning poem at the annual meeting of the ACN.
For inquiries/ submissions: firstname.lastname@example.org