05 August 2010

Queries Being Accepted by D4EO Agent

Post date: 05 August 2010
Deadline: undisclosed
Geographical coverage: undisclosed
Reading Fee: undisclosed
Accepts (genre): multi-genre fiction
Prize/Payment: publication contract, others
Contact: weronika@d4eo.com

Please send -

* a concise one-page query letter
* the first ten pages of your manuscript (this goes for all fiction and memoir submissions)

If you are writing non-fiction, please post the first ten pages of the manuscript if you have them (I will ask for a proposal if I am interested); otherwise, just send a query.

Please make sure that -

* you put QUERY in the subject line
* you don't attach anything
* your manuscript fits within one of the genres that I represent (listed below)

All queries should be sent to weronika@d4eo.com. If I have not responded to your query within three weeks, please resend. Response times with partial and full manuscripts vary.

GENERAL GENRE INTERESTS

I represent:

* single-title romance
* women's fiction
* literary fiction
* commercial fiction
* thrillers/mysteries/crime fiction
* horrors
* fantasy/sci-fi
* memoirs
* commercial non-fiction in areas related to women's interests, history, current events, politics, biography, humor, medicine/health, food, social sciences, science, New Age, history, the arts, architecture, interior design, education, psychology, parenting, pop culture, the environment, sports (nothing mainstream--I'm interested in things such as sailing, Xtreme Sports, etc.), and relationships; in all forms (self-help, narrative, etc.)

I don't want to see any:

* picture books
* middle grade (feel free to query my associate Mandy Hubbard)
* financial/business thrillers
* chick lit
* books written for the academic community
* cozy mysteries
* erotica / erotic romances
* cookbooks
* short story collections
* novellas
* Christian fiction

WHAT I LIKE TO READ / SPECIFICS

PLEASE NOTE:
I am one of those agents who cannot easily categorize her interests. I fall in love with the most random of books, all with their own wits and quirks. The list below covers generalities and things that I like most. Under no circumstance does it describe everything I like. If you are unsure if I would like what you have, please query me, as long as your novel fits GENRE wise.

Single-Title Romance

* my favorite novelist in this genre is Johanna Lindsey
* I am looking for single-title romances with a fresh premise, a high-concept commercial hook, a unique voice, very strong writing, and series potential. I love books in which the female character is immediately powerful and proactive, with a mind of her own, and in which the male character surprises me. I would definitely love to see more romance novels set in the present day (a la Nora Roberts), but I love historical romances, Regencies, Victorian romances, etc. Any paranormal romance will need a very fresh edge for me to seriously consider it.
* If you're unsure of the difference between single-title and category romance, here is a good overview.

Women's Fiction

* my favorite novelist in this genre is Nicholas Sparks
* I am particularly drawn to women's fiction that can make me both laugh and cry, regardless of the underlying mood or tone. I want to represent women's fiction that challenges stereotypes. Characters that can be admired from afar but whose deep flaws lead to their downfalls fascinate me. I would like to see women's fiction that doesn't necessarily deal with death, romance, affairs, children, or work--something that readers wouldn't necessarily associate as a 'women's fiction' topic but can be pulled off to the fit the genre--especially if those topics deal with modern ethical or moral questions, whether lightly or not. I want a unique voice. I would love to see inspirational fiction that overlaps into women's fiction too.

Literary Fiction

* my favorite novelist in this genre is Ian McEwan
* I would like to hear from writers with an established writing background, whether that is an MFA or multiple literary journal credits, though if I fall in love with a debut author I won't hesitate to take him or her on. With literary fiction, the story must offer a fresh twist or unique premise backed by both incredibly strong writing and a voice. I would love to see any literary fiction with a historical or ethnic angle, maybe even some magical realism. I am also drawn to literary fiction from the perspective of a young narrator or that offers a perspective skewed by social dynamics (race, gender, sexuality, etc.).

Commercial Fiction

* my favorite novelist in this genre is Howard Norman
* Oddly enough, I have a more quirky commercial/genre taste than I do a literary taste. My main concern here is the concept--it must be something very high-concept (marketable) and of interest to multiple different audiences, and the writing must be incredibly strong. I am usually drawn most to female protagonists, likable villains, and young narrators.

Thrillers/Mysteries/Crime

* my favorite novelist in this genre is Stieg Larsson
* I want thrillers that have incredibly high public or personal stakes that defy the cliches and stereotypes of the genre. I would like to see some thrillers with interesting characters that I wish I could know in person (a la Lisbeth Salander). I would love to see some thrillers that deal with issues that transcend the genre, that deal directly with questions relevant to modern ethics, morals, and politics. Of course, I would also love to see solid thrillers that do none of these things. The same goes for crime novels and mysteries. Anything that can pull of a CSI or Criminal Minds or Law & Order case in a novel has got my interest. The writing must be fast-paced and tight.

Horrors

* my favorite novelist in this genre is Stephen King
* Though I do want to see commercial horrors, I would also love to see some literary horrors, especially if they deal with interesting myth or folklore. As with thrillers, I want to see incredibly personal or public stakes and interesting multi-dimensional characters that defy stereotypes and cliches. Most importantly, though, a horror novel must keep me up at night--and this is a hard thing to pull off. Solid writing and, even better, a great voice will grab my interest.

Fantasy/Sci-Fi

* my favorite novelist in this genre is Frank Herbert
* I'd love to see fantasy and sci-fi on all ends of the genres's spectrums--from lighthearted and funny to serious, controversial, and edgy. Anything that has series potential I will look at. In terms of fantasy, I would love to see both contemporary fantasy but I have always been a diehard lover of epics. With sci-fi, the concept must be fresh and engaging; anything that twists or deals with modern morals and ethics is a plus. Characters must defy genre stereotypes, as must the plots.

Memoirs

* my favorite memoir is Maya Angelou's I KNOW WHY THE CAGED BIRD SINGS
* It is easy to say what I don't want to see with memoirs: I don't want any comparisons to EAT, PRAY, LOVE; I don't want memoirs that deal with death, divorce, friendship, self-discovery, or whatever if they don't offer a definite angle that separates the book from the others on the market. I want memoirs that can make me laugh or cry or both. I will definitely be drawn to any humorous or sarcastic voices. I would love to hear from individuals whose stories in any way relate to huge events of the past few decades. I would also love to see memoirs about the simplest of things as long as those memoirs have a voice and superb writing.

Non-Fiction

* my favorite book of this type is FREAKONOMICS (Steven D. Levitt, Stephen J. Dubner)
* It is impossible for me to give much detail about non-fiction subject areas, as the topics that will fascinate me are quite random and very varied, but I would love to see any books that appeal to the general public on the topics listed at the top of the page, backed by strong writing, years of experience, and a definite media platform. I want to hear from you if you are a professor, a journalist, a military official, or in any other way an expert in the field. I definitely want to see true crime non-fiction, any social/cultural analyses, anything that relates to literary figures or works, books that deal with European history (particularly revolutions, Poland, France, and Russia), and anything that deals with modern youth.

More information here.
This blog is no longer updated. Please instead visit Writers For Diversity for new opportunities for women/ LGBT writers and writers of color. Thank you.