GIRLS WRITE NOW needs you! We are a community of women writers — educators, editors, poets, novelists, playwrights, journalists, publishers, and more — on a mission. Since 1998, we have provided guidance, support and opportunities for the next generation of women writers in New York City. With mentors like YOU by their sides, high school girls develop their creative, independent voices, explore careers in professional writing, and learn how to make healthy choices in school, career, and life.
APPLY BY MAY 15, 2012 TO BE A MENTOR FOR OUR 2012-13 SEASON!
Professional women writers from every discipline join us as mentors to pass on the specifics of their craft. But as they work with their mentees, something magical begins. The rigor and flexibility of our structure turns a one-to-one relationship into a two-way street, where the teachers learn as much as they teach. Mentees and mentors become critical partners, collaborators, and lifelong friends. And as our programs foster our mentees’ development in everything from writing in the digital age to applying for college, our pairs become mentors to each other, exchanging new skills, demonstrating creative leadership in our workshops, winning national writing awards, and engaging more fully with their own communities.
GIRLS WRITE NOW IS SEEKING PASSIONATE WRITERS, TEACHERS, AND LEADERS WHO ARE:
- Equipped with at least two years of professional writing experience.
- Dedicated to guiding the artistic, academic, and professional aspirations of young women.
- Eager to share a unique voice with the Girls Write Now community.
- Ready to commit to weekly one-to-one mentoring sessions, monthly writing workshops, special events, and participation on one program planning committee from September 2012 to June 2013.
- Prepared to make clear, frequent, and tenacious communication with Girls Write Now's leadership, volunteers, and mentees.
- Excited to play a vital role in sustaining the health and dynamism of the Girls Write Now community.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US:
We are a hard-working, enthusiastic, and supportive group. You can expect training and guidance, as well as frequent and compassionate communication from our leadership to ensure that your volunteer experience with Girls Write Now is truly rewarding.
HOW TO APPLY:
Download and complete the Girls Write Now Mentor Application.
- Email: 1) the Girls Write Now Mentor Application; 2) your resume; and 3) two writing samples (max. 8 pages total) to enrollment[at]girlswritenow.org. Writing samples can be any genre; they do not need to be published creative writing.
- Qualified applicants will be invited to an individual, in-person interview between June and August, where we will ask you to sign your Girls Write Now Mentor Application. At your interview we will also inform you about the process for completing your criminal background check, which is required for all GWN volunteers.
- If you are accepted as a mentor, we will invite you to our fall training, orientation, and workshops where you’ll meet the community and get the tools you’ll need to work effectively with your mentee.
For inquiries: Contact Girls Write Now Mentor Enrollment Chair, Heather Smith, at enrollment[at]girlswritenow.org
For submissions: firstname.lastname@example.org