From Shubha Bala, Editor of Kalyani Magazine: "I'm the editor of the new literary publication Kalyani Magazine which is currently accepting submissions specifically from women of colour. Kalyani Magazine is an e-magazine encouraging all minority female writers - from the brand new and unpublished to the experienced - to submit diverse styles of writing all exploring a particular theme. Our current theme is "Victim" - whatever that word may evoke for you. We accept a variety of styles, from poetry all the way to investigative journalism. The current deadline for submissions is July 31, 2012."
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Kalyani Magazine is a biannual literary magazine encouraging women of colour to express their views, their experiences, their feelings. Each issue explores a theme that matters to women using diverse writing styles to evoke diverse ideas. We especially want to carve out a space for non-professional writers. We are currently accepting submissions for the first issue, “Victim”.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE:
- Women – anyone who self-identifies as a woman the majority of the time
- Of Colour – anyone who self-identifies as a person of colour (e.g. Asian heritage, Hispanic, African)
TYPES OF PIECES:
- A variety of literary styles that all speak to one theme in diverse ways (“Victim” is this issue’s)
- Poetry, prose, lyrical prose, scripts, essays, experimental, flash fiction, investigative reporting, fiction, non-fiction, memoir, cross-genre
- No photographs or pictures
- Up to 1500 words
- You must have full publishing rights for your piece – you will continue to have full rights after it is published
- Limit 1 submission per person or multiple poems to a maximum of 1500 words
HOW TO SUBMIT:
- E-mail your submission to info at kalyanimagazine dot com as a Word Document – double-spaced. Do not include your name anywhere in this document
- In the e-mail please include: your full name, the name that you would like to be published under, the way in which you identify yourself as a “woman of colour”, and a short sentence describing how your submission relates to the theme
- We will try our best to respond to all submissions but may not be able to depending on the volume of submission
Submissions are accepted until July 31, 2012. They will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
For inquiries/ submissions: firstname.lastname@example.org